I am impressed with Rackspace donating the code for their compute and object storage platform and creating the OpenStack. There has been a lot of discussion around the need for a cloud storage API standard, and whether or not Amazon should be the base for an cloud computing standard.
I think it is a very smart move for Rackspace to step up in this way. It will do a lot for the industry and cloud adoption, and put them ahead in the game. I see a couple of immediate benefits:
- Availability of proven open source software to get compute or storage infrastructure up and running
- Promote standard of operation between cloud service providers
- Opportunities for city, state, and federal government to deploy cloud infrastructure
I like how they focused on the cloud computing essentials:
Check out this list of projects they are working on:
- OpenStack Compute (nova)
- OpenStack Development Infrastructure
- OpenStack Object Storage (swift)
Open Source cloud compute power and cloud object storage. Mobile platform support for IPad, IPhone, and Android. Management tools and development tools. Very nice.
And you can’t have a much cooler launch partner than NASA.