Every API owner wants to ensure she or he has high quality, professional developers to refer to partners when building applications that use their API. It can take years to cultivate an organic community of high quality developers for an API area.
Freelance developer communities like Elance have existing developers and provide existing tools for:
- Defining Skills – Establishing common development skillsets that are needed for API integration.
- Skills Acreditation – Self assessment, skills testing, and acreditation around a specific API.
- Rating System – Establishing a rating system for developers to set levels of expected quality around API development.
- Job History – Show job history for API developer, establishing a professional history of API developoment.
- Feedback System – Provide a feedback systems for API partners and other businesses to comment on developers API integration work.
As an API owner how you spend your time and resources is critical. Time can be better spent in other areas, rather than building out developer profile systems and other developer tools.
Companies like Elance have the existing communities of developers as well as tools for identifying the quality, professional and dependable API developer, and companies should leverage the power of these existing communities whenever possible.